Google chrome is basically a cross-platform web browser that has gained popularity all over the world. It was developed by Google and released in 2008, limited to only Microsoft Windows and was later on ported to macOS, Linux, iOS and Android. The specifications of this web browser are not limited to surfing only, but it also allow users to play with its ecosystem using different Google Chrome extensions.
The dark mode is an add-on feature that aids you in turning the browser screen dark. You can easily turn the extension On or Off with the help of the Toolbar button. This dark theme is available for desktop as well as mobile devices, but you need to follow the ideal steps to activate it. The dark mode activation varies for each operating system. Let’s delve into the article to know more about it in detail.
How to Enable Dark Mode for Google Chrome on Windows 10?
To activate the dark mode on Windows 10, follow the below-mentioned steps in order.
- Initially, enter the setting menu and switch on to the “Personalization” and click on “Colors”. After this, you need to scroll down to the switch named as “Choose your default app mode”.
- Change this switch to “Dark” and you will see that the interface of all the applications with the native dark mode, incorporating Chrome will transform into the dark theme. For this, you don’t even need to restart the web browser, you will see the change instantly.
How to Enable Google Chrome Dark Mode on Android?
You might remember the Holo User Interface that was integrated with a dark gray background along with the blue accents. As Google adopted the Material Design, the UI transformed into a thick coat of white color. But, with the enhanced accessibility and cheap availability of OLED and AMOLED, Google has brought the opportunity for Android users to turn on the dark theme with the upcoming Android Q.
Google has been experimenting with this dark mode feature within certain apps and has also incorporated the theme in Google Chrome now. If you are ready to explore this new theme on your Android device, then Checkout the following steps.
- To activate the dark theme on Android, enter chrome://flags in the address bar of the browser.
- Switch on to the “Search Flags” box and enter the word “dark”. You will find two options in front of you on the screen: Android web contents dark mode and Android Chrome UI dark mode.
- If you will tap on the first option, then Chrome will detect if the developers of the particular site have created the dark version for certain elements or not. The browser will automatically invert the colors of the site if the dark version is not available. On the other hand, if you tap on the second option, the interface of the Google Chrome will turn dark instantly.
- In order to activate the theme, tap on the drop-down menu of the selected option and change the setting to “Activated”.
- At last, open the setting menu and switch on to the “themes” option and select “dark” and then restart Chrome and you will be able to see the transformation.
- If you have selected the Android Chrome UI dark mode, then you will notice that the dark mode is enabled in the Google search interface, including the 3-dot menu, settings, etc. All the elements will be painted with a gray tint which is specially designed to relieve your eyes and reduce the battery consumption as well.
Enabling the dark mode for the Chrome UI will not bring any transformation in the contents of the websites. If you want to change that too, then follow the below-mentioned steps.
- Again enter chrome://flags in the chrome’s address bar and search for “Android web contents dark mode”.
- Similarly, enable the flag and relaunch Chrome.
- Do consider the fact that this option doesn’t depend on the dark mode enabled in Chrome and work irrespective of whether the dark theme is turned on or off.
- This feature will invert the colors of the website and you may notice the ambiguous results related to the colors.
After going through the article, we hope that now you would be able to enable the dark mode on your Windows and Android devices by following the step-by-step guide of each of the two. Most of the individuals prefer the dark theme just to relieve their eyes if they have to spend prolonged hours in front of their computer screen. Google also confirmed the fact that dark interfaces help in reducing the consumption of battery as well.