Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 is Samsung’s old flagship smartphone that was launched in 2013. Being an old smartphone the device still performs better than many new smartphones which are available in the market. The Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE has a quad core Krait 300 processor with 2 GB of RAM and is upgradable to Android 4.4.2 KitKat. The official lollipop version is planned but there is no words from Samsung regarding when it will launch. If you own this old flagship smartphone then we have some good news for you. You can now upgrade Galaxy S4 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow using a third party custom ROM.
CrDroid, the popular custom ROM is now available for Galaxy S4 and it offers some custom features like Call blacklist, Ad blocker, Ambient Backlight control and a lot more. Many users have tested this ROM and their reviews are positive. The ROM is not only stable but also performs really smooth. If you are interested and are planning to install this ROM on your S4 then we should remind you that this ROM is a custom ROM and is not officially supported by Samsung. The process to Update Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow is easy and you need to have a third party recovery like TWRP or CWM installed on your device.
Here are some features of CrDroid Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM:
- Volume panel timeout
- Slim recents panel
- Clear recents location
- Lock app on recents panel
- SlimRoms Heads up (with snooze time, timeout, touch to hide and swipe behavior)
- SlimRoms custom lockscreen shortcuts
- Ticker notifications
- Navbar on/off
- Hardare keys on/off (in devices supported)
- Power menu in navring targets
- SlimPie controls with all working
- Sound panel option om power menu
- Superuser indicator (Notification, Statusbar icon or no indicator)
- Force expanded notifications on expanded statusbar
- Power menu and notifications tiles
- Four tiles per row
- Vibrate on tiles touch
- Disable quick settings on secure lockscreen
- CAF task manager
- Kill app back button configurable timeout
- Ambient display with a bunch of options
- System apps remover
- IME advanced settings
- SELinux switch
- Network traffic meter
- RAM bar in recents panel
- Wakelock blocker
- Battery saver enhancements
- Non intrusive incoming call
- Option to disable battery saver orange bars
- Swipe behavior
- Touch outside behavior
So, if you are ready then follow then follow the instructions on how to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 using CrDroid custom ROM.
- Before proceeding, make sure you have properly taken the backup of your important data including personal photos and videos.
- Your device should have more than 60 percent battery to prevent any unexpected shutdowns during the process.
- You have installed the Samsung Galaxy S4 USB drivers on your PC.
- Your device must be rooted and have Custom Recovery like CWM installed.
- You should have enabled the USB debugging mode. If you not then go to settings > Developer Options and enable it.
- This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505. Don’t try it on other variants.
How to Update Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE I9505 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow via CrDroid Custom ROM:
Step No 2:– Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable and mount its USB memory storage.
Step No 3:- Copy the Android 6.0 ROM .zip file which you’ve already downloaded from the above link, to the root folder of your SD card.
Step No 4:- Disconnect the Galaxy S4 from the PC and power it OFF in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
Step No 5:- Power ON the device while pressing and holding Volume UP + Home + Power keys altogether to enter into Recovery Mode.
Step No 6:- Once in the recovery mode, perform a wipe data/factory reset andWipe Cache partition. In the Advanced area of CWM, you will find Wipe Dalvik Cache which is not compulsory but we recommend to perform this step too.
Step No 7:- Go back to the main Recovery Menu and choose install zip from SD card → choose zip from sdcard.
Step No 8:- Navigate to the Android 6.0 ROM .zip file which you’ve already transferred to the SD card. Select the ROM .zip file using the Power button and confirm the installation to begin.
Step No 9:- Navigate to +++++Go Back+++++ once the installation is completed. From Recovery Menu, reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
Step 10:- Your Samsung Galaxy S4 will be rebooted and may take up to 4 to 5 minutes to boot.
That’s it. Your device has been updated to Android 6.0 CrDroid ROM. Now Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the Android version. If you have any questions let us know in the comments.