Despite the sad news that the Xperia M2 won’t be getting the Android 6.0 Marshmallow update, Sony was kind enough to release the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on the Xperia M2 along with all the Lollipop goodness. The update is rolling out on all the variants of Xperia M2 via OTA, however, if you are one of those people who would rather use the manual updating method, you are at the right place.
We have 2 guides, one for the Xperia M2 and the other one for Xperia M2 Dual, we are going to start with the former. If you are willing to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on your Xperia M2, simply follow the guide below.
Note: The update is out for the following variants; D2303, D2305 & D2306.
- Download and install the latest flashtool from here.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. You’ll need to turn off the driver signature. Check out this guide.
- Turn on the USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the ‘Build number’ at least 7-8 times and going back into settings and then going to Developer Options.
- Download and install the XperiFirm tool from here and download the firmware for your device.
Install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on Xperia M2
- Once the files are downloaded, copy them to flashtool/firmwares folder.
- Fire up the flashtool and wait for it to load.
- Once the flashtool is up and running, click on the small lightning bolt on the top left and choose Flashmode.
- Select the firmware file you placed in the firmwares folder.
- Make sure all boxes are unticked apart from Wipe Data/Cache/App logs.
- Once you are done making the selection, click the ok button and wait while the update gets prepared.
- Turn off your phone and wait for the message that asks you to attach your phone.
- Press and hold the volume down key and attach the USB cable to your phone.
- As soon as the firmware starts flashing, leave the volume down key and wait for the phone to flash the firmware. Do not disconnect the phone at any cost.
- Once the firmware is flashed, you will get a message asking you to reboot your phone.
- Reboot your phone and wait for 5 to 10 minutes for the first boot.
That is it, you have successfully updated your Xperia M2 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, in case you face any issues, feel free to let us know.