The factory images for Android 6.0 Marshmallow are available now, means you can finally update the eligible Nexus devices to the latest version of Android. For those who are not willing to wait for the OTA, we are going to publish a series of guides that will be targeted towards the devices that are getting the update. We are going to start off by writing a guide on how to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Nexus 5 and then will move forward.
If you are an owner of Nexus 5 and you’re willing to update your device manually, you’re at the right place. This guide will help you update your Nexus 5 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow. So without further ado, let’s get to the business.
- Backup your Nexus device.
- At least 70 percent of available battery.
- Make sure the USB debugging is enabled; to do so, go to Settings > About Phone and tap Build Number until you see a notification that Developer Options have been enabled.
- Setup ADB on your computer > How to setup ADB.
- Unlocked Nexus 5 > How to Unlock Bootloader on Nexus Devices.
- Factor image for Nexus 5 > Download here.
Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Nexus 5
- Boot your Nexus 5 in Fastboot mode by turning it off and turning it back on by pressing and holding volume up and down keys together and then pressing the power button.
- Completely extract the firmware you downloaded and copy all the files to platform-tools folder in Android SDK folder.
- Now connect your Nexus 5 to your computer using the USB cable.
- From the files you pasted in the platform-tools folder, click on flash-all.bat if you’re on Windows and flash-all.sh if you’r on Linux.
- A new window will open regarding the installation, let the installation complete and don’t unplug your device at any cost.
- Once the installation is done, your Nexus 5 will reboot and you’ll see your official Android 6.0 Marshmallow boot-animation, you can safely unplug your device.
Congratulations, you have successfully update your Nexus 5 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow, in case you ran into any problems, feel free to let us know.