Sony’s pushing the latest Android version on the Xperia Z and finally fulfilling the promise of updating the entire series, the latest update pushes the Android version to 5.1.1 and brings all the Lollipop goodness along with some additional bug fixes by Sony. Although the update is currently rolling out, those who prefer updating manually simply because it is much easier and faster can update their phone using the manual method.
Of course, the manual method is for people who like to get the update ahead of time, in addition to that, there are absolutely no changes that may hinder their user experience. If you’re willing to update your Xperia Z to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, you’re at the right place. Check out the guide below.
- Download and install the latest flashtool from here.
- If you are using Windows 8, 8.1 or 10. You’ll need to turn off the driver signature. Check out this guide.
- Turn on the USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the ‘Build number’ at least 7-8 times and going back into settings and then going to Developer Options.
- Download the latest 10.7.A.0.222 ftf from here.
Update Sony Xperia C6603 Z to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop
- Once the firmware is downloaded, copy it to flashtool/firmwares folder.
- Fire up the flashtool and wait for it to load.
- Once the flashtool is up and running, click on the small lightning bolt on the top left and choose Flashmode.
- Select the firmware file you placed in the firmwares folder.
- Make sure all boxes are unticked apart from Wipe Data/Cache/App logs.
- Once you are done making the selection, click the ok button and wait while the update gets prepared.
- Turn off your phone and wait for the message that asks you to attach your phone.
- Press and hold the volume down key and attach the USB cable to your phone.
- As soon as the firmware starts flashing, leave the volume down key and wait for the phone to flash the firmware. Do not disconnect the phone at any cost.
- Once the firmware is flashed, you will get a message asking you to reboot your phone.
- Reboot your phone and wait for 5 to 10 minutes for the first boot.
That is it, you have successfully upgraded your Xperia Z to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, in case you run into any issues, feel free to let us know.