Sony Xperia Z isn’t the only device that got updated to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, the company also pushed the update to Xperia ZL, to the latest Android version. We already published guide on how to root the Xperia Z running the official Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Today we are bringing you a guide that will allow you to root your Xperia ZL running the latest Android version, apart from getting you root access, the guide will also let you install TWRP recovery in your Xperia ZL.
For those who are interested in rooting their phone and installing recovery, check out the guide that will help you root your Xperia ZL and install recovery.
- Xperia ZL with unlocked bootloader > How to unlock bootloader.
- TWRP recovery > download here.
- SuperSU package > download here.
- Properly set up ADB and Fastboot > How to setup ADB.
Root Xperia ZL Running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with TWRP Recovery
- Download the TWRP recovery package and SuperSU package (copy the SuperSU package in your phone)
- Enable USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > tap the build number 7-8 times till you get the message that you’re a developer > Settings > Developer options > USB Debugging.
- Switch off your phone and reboot it in bootloader mode by pressing and holding volume up button and plugging in the USB cable. The LED will turn blue indicating that you’re in bootloader mode.
- Go to the folder where you have copied the boot.img and open a command prompt there by holding shift key and pressing right click and then choosing ‘open command window here’.
- Type the following command in the command window, you’ll see a device listed in the command window.
- One you have done that. enter the following command to flash the recovery
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once the recovery has been flashed, reboot your phone in recovery by switching off your phone and switching it back off by pressing volume down + power button together and leaving the power button once you get a vibration.
- Once you’re in recovery, tap install and navigate to the folder you’ve placed the SuperSU package, tap to select it and then swipe to install.
- Once done, go back to the main menu and reboot system.
That’s it, you have successfully rooted your Xperia ZL and installed TWRP recovery on it while running Android 5.1.1 Lollipop, in case you run into any problems, feel free to let us know.