One of the biggest and most famous features of Android phones is the ability to change the stock firmware and use a custom firmware instead of the one that comes pre-installed. Installing custom firmware is a piece of cake, you just need some basic Android knowledge and you’re good to go, custom firmware can bring a lot of different changes ranging from a complete UI overhaul to small, under the hood improvements.
If you have been in the Android world for some time, it’s fairly safe to say that you’re well aware of what CyanogenMod is, for those who don’t; CyanogenMod is a custom firmware that is nearly identical to vanilla Android, the slight difference is that this particular firmware comes with its own enhancements, making sure that the user experience remains simple and fun.
Of course, you’re going to need enough knowledge about Android to make the jump, but it’s certainly worth it. Today we are going to each you how to update your HTC One M8 to CM12.1 — that is based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. If you’re willing to install the custom ROM on your phone, you can do so by following a simple guide.
- Rooted HTC One M8 > How to root HTC One M8.
- CM12.1 custom ROM > download.
- Latest GApps package > download.
Update HTC One M8 to CM12.1 Custom ROM
- Copy the ROM and the GApps package you downloaded earlier to your phone’s storage.
- Reboot your phone phone in bootloader mode by turning it off and pressing and holding power and volume down keys together till you’re in the bootloader menu.
- Choose bootloader and then choose recovery.
- Once your phone is in recovery, wipe the data by going to wipe data / factory reset.
- It is also suggested to wipe cache partition as well as dalvik cache.
- Go back to the main menu and select ‘Install zip from SD card’ and then select ‘choose zip from SD card’.
- Navigate to the CM12.1 ROM you copied the first step and confirm the selection and installation by pressing the power button.
- Once done, repeat step 7 and flash GApps package instead of the ROM.
- Reboot your phone once the flashing is done.
Congratulations, you have successfully updated your HTC One M8 to CM12.1. Do keep in mind that the first boot takes up to 10 minutes. In case you face any problems, feel free tot let us know.