Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge are two of the hottest devices that are available in the market, apart from the cutting-edge specs, they are also enjoying a really good developer support on XDA. Rooting the variants of the phones are relatively easy as compared to the predecessors, this is mainly because all the variants have the same hardware and that makes the rooting process easy and universal.
If you are willing to root your Galaxy S6 and install recovery on it, we have a simple guide for you, you won’t be needing to out in a lot of effort, just make sure you’re well aware of the process itself.
- Download the latest Odin from here.
- Download TWRP recovery file. If you have the Sprint variant; you can download from here. For all other variants, you can download the file from here.
- Downloaded the latest SuperSu.zip from here.
- Enable USB Settings> About> Build number and tap it 7 times to unlock Developer options. Now return to Settings> Developer.
- Install the latest Samsung USB drivers from here.
How To Root Samsung Galaxy S6 and Install Recovery
- Plug your phone into the PC using the microUSB cable and copy the SuperSu you downloaded from the steps above.
- Turn off your Galaxy S6 and reboot it in the download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down+Home+Power, and when you see a warning, simply press volume up key to enter the download mode.
- Now extract the Odin you downloaded earlier and launch it.
- Connect your phone with the PC using USB cable.
- The ID:COM port on Odin will be highlighted, this shows that the phone has established the contact with Odin.
- Click on the AP button and select twrp-184.108.40.206-zeroflte.img.tar if you have any other variant than Sprint and twrp-220.127.116.11-zerofltespr.img.tar if you have the Sprint variant.
- Now click on Options tab on Odin and make sure the ‘auto-reboot- option is unchecked.
- Click the start button to initiate the process.
- You’ll get the PASS message once the process is complete.
- Unplug the device and boot into recovery by pressing and holding volume down+power button together till the screen turns completely black. Now press volume up+home+power button together. Do keep in mind that this needs to be done before the Samsung logo appears or the phone will reboot. As soon as you see the Samsung Galaxy S6 Logo, let go off the power button and keep holding the other buttons until you enter the recovery.
- Once you’re in recovery, tap the install button and navigate to where you placed the SuperSu file.
- Confirm the installation by swiping the slider.
- Once the process is done, go back to the main menu, tap on Reboot and then System.
Congrats, you have successfully rooted your Galaxy S6. In case you face any issues, feel free to let us know.