Google recently started pushing out a new update for the Nexus devices that helps deal with the recently discovered exploit called Stagefright, the update is rolling out to all the Nexus devices that still fall under the update circle. The update carries the build number LMY48I and updates the phone to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. Despite the fact that the update is being pushed via OTA but if you are eager enough, you can update the devices yourself by simply following the handy guide below.
Download the files from here: Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 7 (2013), Nexus 9 (WiFi), Nexus 9 (LTE), Nexus 10.
- Make sure you back up your phone before proceeding because this will erase your data.
- Download USB drivers.
- Enable USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the build number 7-8 times > Back to Settings > Developer options.
- Make sure your bootloader is unlocked.
How to Update Nexus Devices to Android 5.1.1 LMY48I Factory Image
- You’ll be needing the proper factory image for your device, download it and proceed to the next step.
- Connect your Nexus device to your PC using a USB cable.
- Install fastboot drivers and set them up, follow the link.
- Turn off your Nexus device and turn it back on by pressing and holding Volume Up + Volume Down + Power till the fastboot menu appears.
- In case your bootloader is locked, you are going to have to follow the steps below to unlock it.
1) Open a command prompt and type: adb devices.
2) Once the device is listed, type: adb reboot bootloader.
3) Now you have to type: fastboot oem unlock.
- That’s it, your bootloader is now unlocked.
- Extract the content of factory image to Platform Tools folder located in the ADB/Fastboot folder.
- Now simply run the flash-all.bat script if you are on Windows or flash-all.sh script if you’re on either Mac or Linux and the flashing process will begin.
Keep in mind that the process won’t show anything on the phone but there will be an updating notification on your terminal that will let you know once the process has been completed. That’s all, you have successfully updated your device to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop (LMY48I) In case of any issues, feel free to let us know.