Sony’s Xperia Z2 and Z3 are two of the better phones that came out recently, despite being old; they still pack a lot of punch and offer a great value in terms of price/performance ratio. Rooting Xperia phones have been a nuisance for some ever since the Android 4.4.4 was released, specially for people who are still on locked bootloaders; the only way to root was by downgrading, rooting and upgrading again. However, there is a new way that eliminates that issue by rooting your phone on whatever OS version you are.
We would like to inform you that this method has been tested on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on both Xperia Z2 and Z3 and it works perfectly fine, however, the same can’t be said for the recently released Android 5.1.1 Lollipop as the update method is currently broken.
If you are running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop and willing to root your phone without willing to go the extra mile, checkout the really easy steps below.
How to Root Xperia Z2 & Z3 on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Download and extract this zip file on your PC.
- Copy the contents of the zip file to your phone’s memory.
- You’ll get 3 APK files; install all of them. The files will be; root.apk, Recovery.apk and Busybox.apk.
- Once all the files are installed, open Kingroot from your app drawer and tap the root button.
- You will soon see a blue button with Chinese on it, tap it.
- Once it’s done you will either get a blue tick symbol or a %100 message.
- Launch the previously installed Busybox and install it.
- Now launch the XZRecovery and install the recovery.
- Your phone will reboot in recovery mode.
- Navigate to the place you’ve copied the contents and choose SuperSU.zip from there.
- Install the SuperSU.zip by swiping it.
- Once done, wipe cache/dalvik and reboot the phone.
- You’ll see that there’s SuperSU app in your app drawer.
That is it, you have successfully rooted Xperia Z2 or Z3 running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. Do keep in mind that this method works on Xperia Z2, Z3 and Z3c. You can delete the additional apps that were installed during the rooting process such as; Kingroot, Busybox, and XZrecovery.