Sony just started pushing out another build number on the Xperia Z2 D6503. The latest update comes with 23.1.A.1.28 build number and brings some bug fixes over the board. We have created an updating guide but if you are willing to root the phone, you’re at the right place.
Below is the complete changelog for the latest update.
- Ensured the lock screen/notification bar doesn’t indicate “no service” when the device has coverage
- Added a Sony feature; bringing back the “close-all-button” in the activity menu, so you can easily close all apps at once
- Unblocked devices with server policies (such as Exchange Active Sync for e-mail), to enable the new Lollipop lock-screen notifications
- Ensured the LED light is lit across all sound modes – and no longer offset by “silent”
- Made the necessary fixes to enable the easy movement of content from internal memory to external microSD card (something we saw affecting a few devices)
- Improved messaging functionality in Ultra stamina mode – some conversations could not be opened before in Ultra stamina mode
- Make sure your battery is charged to at least 70 percent.
- The ADB drivers must be set up. Here’s how to.
- Turn on the USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the ‘Build number’ at least 7-8 times and going back into settings and then going to Developer Options.
- Backup your apps and important messages.
- Download and install flashtool from here.
- Download the .314 ftf file from the following link; Xperia Z2 D6503. Root it using this tool kit, Install the latest recovery from here. Make sure you download the installer.
- The latest flashable zip can be downloaded from here.
How to Downgrade to Android 4.4.2
Note: This is only for those who are already on Android 5.0.2 and aren’t rooted.
- Once the files are downloaded, copy them to flashtool/firmwares folder.
- Fire up the flashtool and wait for it to load.
- Once the flashtool is up and running, click on the small lightning bolt on the top left and choose Flashmode.
- Select the firmware file you placed in the firmwares folder.
- Make sure all boxes are unticked apart from Wipe Data/Cache/App logs.
- Once you are done making the selection, click the ok button and wait while the update gets prepared.
- Turn off your phone and wait for the message that asks you to attach your phone.
- Press and hold the volume down key and attach the USB cable to your phone.
- As soon as the firmware starts flashing, leave the volume down key and wait for the phone to flash the firmware. Do not disconnect the phone at any cost.
- Reboot your phone when it’s done.
- Open the root kit you downloaded earlier and connect your phone with it. Make sure the USB debugging is on. To do so, go to Settings then ‘About phone’ and tap the build number at least 7 or 8 times till you see a toast notification. Now back to settings and go to developer options to turn on the USB debugging.
- Follow the on screen instructions, your phone will be rooted and rebooted in a moment.
- Once it reboots, open the recovery installer, connect your phone and follow the on screen instructions.
- Once the process is completed, you will have a rooted phone with recovery installed.
How To Root Xperia Z2 D6503 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop (23.1.A.1.28)
Note: If you are on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop and have recovery installed; follow this guide.
- Place the flashable zip you downloaded in your phone (external or internal).
- Reboot your phone into recovery. For doing that; turn off your phone > turn it back on > start pressing volume up or volume down when you feel the phone vibrate.
- From the recovery, do a factory reset/data wipe. Wipe cache as well.
- Choose to install zip from recovery.
- Navigate to where you have placed the flashable.zip.
- Choose it and confirm it using the power button.
- The flashing process will begin.
- Let the process complete it.
- Once it completes, reboot the phone.
Congratulations, you have successfully updated your Xperia Z2 to the latest Android 5.0.2 (23.1.A.1.28). In case you have had any problems, feel free to let us know.