Sony started pushing out a newer build number of Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Xperia Z3 and Z2. The newer build comes with some improvements over the other and carries 23.1.a.0.726 as the build number. Surely, upgrading will break your root access but worry not. We have a simple guide that will help you root your phone.
Note: The rooting method works on both locked and unlocked bootloader. The method is for D6503 and D6653.
- Make sure your battery is charged to at least 70 percent.
- The ADB drivers must be set up. Here’s how to.
- Turn on the USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the ‘Build number’ at least 7-8 times and going back into settings and then going to Developer Options.
- Backup your apps and important messages.
- Download and install flashtool from here.
- (optional) If you are running firmwares newer than the ones released in October, you’re going to need to downgrade. If not, then root the firmware using this and install the recovery from here. Do keep in mind that you’ll need the installer version.
- (optional) FTF files for older firmwares can be downloaded from the links given; Xperia Z3 D6603 | Xperia Z3 D6653
- Flashable Lollipop zip files: Xperia Z3 D6603 | Xperia Z3 D6653
How To Downgrade Xperia Z3
Note: This method is only for those who are on newer firmware. If you’re on the older one, skip this step.
- Once the files are downloaded, copy them to flashtool/firmwares folder.
- Fire up the flashtool and wait for it to load.
- Once the flashtool is up and running, click on the small lightning bolt on the top left and choose Flashmode.
- Select the firmware file you placed in the firmwares folder.
- Make sure all boxes are unticked apart from Wipe Data/Cache/App logs.
- Once you are done making the selection, click the ok button and wait while the update gets prepared.
- Turn off your phone and wait for the message that asks you to attach your phone.
- Press and hold the volume down key and attach the USB cable to your phone.
- As soon as the firmware starts flashing, leave the volume down key and wait for the phone to flash the firmware. Do not disconnect the phone at any cost.
- Reboot your phone when it’s done.
- Open the root kit you downloaded earlier and connect your phone with it. Make sure the USB debugging is on. To do so, go to Settings then ‘About phone’ and tap the build number at least 7 or 8 times till you see a toast notification. Now back to settings and go to developer options to turn on the USB debugging.
- Follow the on screen instructions, your phone will be rooted and rebooted in a moment.
- Once it reboots, open the recovery installer, connect your phone and follow the on screen instructions.
- Once the process is completed, you will have a rooted phone with recovery installed.
Now to the main process.
How To Root Xperia Z3 Running Android 5.0.2 Lollipop 23.1.A.0.726
- Place the flashable zip you downloaded in your phone (external or internal).
- Reboot your phone into recovery. For doing that; turn off your phone > turn it back on > start pressing volume up or volume down when you feel the phone vibrate.
- From the recovery, do a factory reset/data wipe. Wipe cache as well.
- Choose to install zip from recovery.
- Navigate to where you have placed the flashable.zip.
- Choose it and confirm it using the power button.
- The flashing process will begin.
- Let the process complete it.
- Once it completes, reboot the phone.
Congrats, you have successfully rooted your Xperia Z3 running the latest Android build number. You now have a fully rooted phone with working recovery. In case you find any issues, feel free to let us know.