Sony kept its promise of delivering the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on the entire Z series once again. The Japanese tech giant started rolling out the much awaited update to Xperia Z1 users yesterday. Apart from Z1, Xperia Z Ultra and Xperia Z3 Dual are also getting the update as we speak. The update is rolling out right now but the roll-out is region specific. However, if you are one of the anxious users who can’t wait to get their hands on the latest update, there’s a good news; you can manually update your phone to the latest version by using flashtool. All you need is some basic Android know-how and you’ll be all set.
- Make sure your battery is charged to at least 70 percent.
- The ADB drivers must be set up. Here’s how to.
- Turn on the USB debugging by going to Settings > About Phone > Tapping the ‘Build number’ at least 7-8 times and going back into settings and then going to Developer Options.
- Backup your apps and important messages.
- Download and install flashtool from here.
- Download the ftf file from here. If you are running the 3G variant, you can get the ftf from here.
The 4G LTE version comes with C6903 as the model number whereas C6902 is the model number for the 3G variant.
How To Update Sony Xperia Z1 C6902/C6903 To Android Lollipop
- Once the files are downloaded, copy them to flashtool/firmwares folder.
- Fire up the flashtool and wait for it to load.
- Once the flashtool is up and running, click on the small lightning bolt on the top left and choose Flashmode.
- Select the firmware file you placed in the firmwares folder.
- Make sure all boxes are unticked apart from Wipe Data/Cache/App logs.
- Once you are done making the selection, click the ok button and wait while the update gets prepared.
- Turn off your phone and wait for the message that asks you to attach your phone.
- Press and hold the volume down key and attach the USB cable to your phone.
- As soon as the firmware starts flashing, leave the volume down key and wait for the phone to flash the firmware. Do not disconnect the phone at any cost.
- Once the firmware is flashed, you will get a message asking you to reboot your phone.
- Reboot your phone and wait for 10 minutes for the first boot.
Once the phone boots up, you will know that you have successfully updated your Xperia Z1 C6902/C6903 to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop.
In case of any problems, feel free to let us know.