The latest Android 5.1 Lollipop is now available for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 with the help of Omni ROM. Samsung has already discontinued the support for Galaxy S3 but those who want to update their device to the latest Lollipop can use this ROM. OmniROM is the most popular custom ROM for Galaxy S3 and if you are a Galaxy S3 user then you’ll love to test it out on your Android device.
Before proceeding, let me remind to all our readers that this ROM is not officially released by Samsung. It’s a custom ROM created by third party developers.
- Before proceeding, make sure you have properly taken the backup of your important data including personal photos and videos.
- Your device should have more than 60 percent battery to prevent any unexpected shutdowns during the process.
- You have installed the Samsung Galaxy S3 USB drivers on your PC.
- Your device must be rooted and have Custom Recovery like CWM installed.
- You should have enabled the USB debugging mode. If you not then go to settings > Developer Options and enable it.
- This guide is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. Don’t try it on other variants.
How to install Android 5.1 Lollipop on Galaxy S3 with the help of OmniROM:
Step No 1:- First of all, download the Android 5.1 Lollipop ROM for Galaxy S3 I9300.
Step No 2:– Connect your device to the PC via USB data cable and mount its USB memory storage.
Step No 3:- Copy the Android 5.1 ROM .zip file which you’ve already downloaded from the above link, to the root folder of your SD card.
Step No 4:- Disconnect the Galaxy S3 from the PC and power it OFF in order to boot into Recovery Mode.
Step No 5:- Power ON the device while pressing and holding Volume UP + Home + Power keys altogether to enter into Recovery Mode.
Step No 6:- Once in the recovery mode, perform a wipe data/factory reset andWipe Cache partition. In the Advanced area of CWM, you will find Wipe Dalvik Cache which is not compulsory but we recommend to perform this step too.
Step No 7:- Go back to the main Recovery Menu and choose install zip from SD card → choose zip from sdcard.
Step No 8:- Navigate to the Android 5.1 ROM .zip file which you’ve already transferred to the SD card. Select the ROM .zip file using the Power button and confirm the installation to begin.
Step No 9:- Navigate to +++++Go Back+++++ once the installation is completed. From Recovery Menu, reboot your device by selecting reboot system now.
Step 10:- Your Samsung Galaxy S3 will be rebooted and may take up to 4 to 5 minutes to boot.
That’s it. Your device has been updated to Android 5.1 OmniROM. Now Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the Android version. If you have any questions let us know in the comments.