Good news for all the Sony fans who have been waiting for the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop to be available on their devices. Sony just started rolling out the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop on Xperia Z3, Xperia Z3 Compact and Xperia Z2. The roll-out is currently happening in Nordic and Baltic regions and will be hitting your devices in coming days.
Check out the short description of what’s changed in this long awaited update.
- Fresh, streamlined looks – based on Google’s material design, but retaining our minimalistic approach to interface and application design
- New look notifications and lock screen – with fully customizable settings, so you only get the information you really need
- Multi user profiles and guest mode – making it easy for family and friends to use your device, or the creation of dual environments for work and play…
- Android for Work – not only are business-ready Xperia smartphones and tablets unique devices for work – with waterproof form factors, great battery life and productivity features – they will now also be part of the Android for Work ecosystem
- Better storage control and customisation – with the option to easily move applications from internal memory to SD card – giving you more control over your content, particularly useful for devices with slightly less space
Sony will also bring the latest update to the rest of the Z series devices in coming weeks.
For those who are too eager to update their phones to the latest version. We have a manual guide that will help you update your phone to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop. So without wasting anytime, let’s get to business and learn how to flash the update on the mentioned Sony Xperia devices.
Step 1: First of all, we are going to need the appropriate files for the devices we are going to update. Check them out below. You also need to install the latest version of flashtool which can be downloaded from here.
For Xperia Z3: Xperia Z3 D6603/D6653.
For Xperia Z3 Compact: Xperia Z3 Compact D5803.
For Xperia Z2: Xperia Z2 D6503.
Step 2: After that, extract the firmware you downloaded and you will get a .ftf file. Copy that file and navigate to the Flashtool folder and paste the .ftf file in ‘firmwares’ folder.
Step 3: Run the Flashtool and wait for it to load all the settings.
Step 4: Click on the black lightning bolt on the left side and select ‘Flashmode’, you’ll be given a window, select the firmware you want to flash and make sure all 3 wipe options are checked and all the others are unchecked.
Step 5: Click OK and the Flashtool will start preparing the firmware for flashing. Do know that this may take some time.
Step 6: Meanwhile, turn off your phone completely.
Step 7: Once the Flashtool is ready, you’ll be asked to plug in the USB cable while holding the back button (in your case, volume down button)
Step 8: Firmly hold the volume down button and plug in the USB cable while doing it. Your phone’s LED light will blink and the flashing process will start. Once it does, leave the volume down key and keep the micro USB plugged in.
Step 9: Once the flashing is done, you will get a message on screen asking to unplug the cable and turn on your phone. Do that.
That’s it, you’ve just flashed the latest Android version on your phone. Do remember that the first boot will take some time. Sit back and enjoy the goodness of Android Lollipop.