When it comes to factor installed firmware, Sony is known for providing one of the most stable releases. This is mainly because how their iteration of Android is very close to the vanilla Android. Yes, it lacks all the fancy features like Samsung’s TouchWiz or HTC’s Sense but those who are looking for a very less visual flare are happy with Sony’s work.
Rooting a Sony phone isn’t all that difficult. Luckily there are 2 ways to root your phone, one is by unlocking the bootloader and one is without unlocking the bootloader. However, when the new firmwares are released, those who have their old firmwares rooted will lose the root once the update is received. In that case, there is a way of making a pre-rooted firmware that you can flash and gain the root on latest update. Luckily, the amazing developer community is never at rest. There’s a tool created by senior XDA member zxz0O0 that allows you to create pre-rooted flashable firmwares with recovery, as well as the SuperUser in them. To learn how to create a pre-rooted firmware, follow the guide below.
- First of all, download the latest version of the tool by going here.
- Once downloaded; extract the zip file to some place easily accessible.
- Go to the folder and open the PRFCreator. You will be presented with a window like the one below.
- Now you’ll need to add the downloaded firmware of your Xperia phone and add it in the first tab. The firmware you’ll download will be available in .ftf format.
- Next up, you’ll need the SuperSU.zip that you can download from here. Once downloaded, add it in the second tab. Make sure you don’t extract it.
- Lastly, we are going to need the recovery zip that can be downloaded from here. Make sure the recovery you download is appropriate for your device and is a flashable recovery. Once it’s downloaded, add it in the third zip.
- On the right hand, make sure you tick all 5 options, specially kernel otherwise you’ll have to manually flash that.
- Once everything is in place, you will need to click on ‘Create’ button on the bottom right and the PRFCreator will start creating a pre-rooted firmware for you.
- Once the process is done, you’ll be presented with a flashable zip of a pre-rooted firmware. Do know that this firmware will still be in its factory state and the only difference in this one will be the fact that it will be rooted.
This guide works on all Sony Xperia phones. Just make sure that the recovery and the ftf you are using are for your phone phones. To check the model number, go to Settings > About Phone and check the model number.