Whatsapp is one of the top instant messaging app available that provides an easy mode to communicate with your friends and can also share pictures, music, videos and even your current location. WhatsApp was founded by Brian Acton and Jan Koum, the former employees of Yahoo. In October 2014, Whatsapp became the most popular app with more than 600 Million active visitors. In January 2015, reports came that it had surpassed 700 Million years and is still the most popular IM app available. WhatsApp is available on all major smartphone platforms like Android, iOS, Symbian, Windows Phone, BB OS and etc.
WhatsApp is doing a tremendous job by providing quality services without serving any third party ads. The first year subscription is free, after that you have to pay $1 every year in order to use it. WhatsApp offer all these amazing services but the only problem that hinders the path to complete freedom is the limited file size of attachments. Whether it’s a video file or an image file, you can’t exceed the 16MB file size. So, today we are going to tell you how you can increase the 16MB limit to as far as 2GB. This means now you can easily send all your HD videos through WhatsApp easily.
For changing this limitation, all you need is a rooted Android device. You just need to edit a specific xml file. The process is extremely simple and approved by many Android users. However, many users also reported that it may reset to standard 16MB limit if WhatsApp is updated or when the device is rebooted several times.
Before proceeding, the two things you should keep in mind is that your device needs to be rooted and have root browser installed on it. So, it can open and edit the file.
How to increase File Size Limit in WhatsApp:
- First, you need to install WhatsApp on your Android device and it should be logged in.
- Open the Root Browser
- Grant permission when the message appears.
- Open ‘data and press ‘data’ again.
- Open the ‘com.WhatsApp’ folder then the ‘shared_prefs’ folder. Here you will find the file by the name of ‘com.WhatsApp_preferences.xml’.
- Long tap on ‘com.WhatsApp_preferences’ and press Opent with RB Text Editor.
- You will see this file like this, when opened through Text Editor.
- Now you need to find this line in the file. <int name=”media_limit_mb” value=”16″ />
- Now change the number “16” to “2048”.
- The file sizes are mentioned in MBs, 2048 means 2GB.
- Now save and exit the file.
- Restart your device and enjoy uploading large files on WhatsApp.
And there you have it. Follow the instructions carefully and now you will be able to increase your WhatsApp file size with ease. If you’re stuck at any point or have any questions do let us know in the comments section.